Nintendo celebrates Super Mario Bros 35th Anniversary with games, souvenirs, and content
Nintendo fans have been waiting quite some time for a Nintendo Direct featuring their mainline properties. Well, now it’s happened. Nintendo has given us this direct filled with information all about the one and only Mario. What’s in store for his 35th anniversary? Let’s take a look. You can check out more details at SuperMario35.com
The Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch
As a throwback to the original Nintendo digital property that started it all, Nintendo is making a brand new Game and Watch. It looks a lot like the original, except this one has a full-color LCD screen and plays Super Mario Bros. and The Lost Levels and an updated version of the original Game and Watch game: Balls starring Mario. Oh, and it’s also a watch, cause you know, Game and Watch. The clock has a bunch of special events using sprites from Mario’s 8 and 16-bit history so, yes, Nintendo is telling us to watch the seconds countdown to uncover secrets… and I just might do it. There are 35 special scenes to uncover, in celebration of Mario’s 35th anniversary. Game and Watch: Super Mario Bros will be available on November 13 in a limited run.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury
It was only a matter of time. Nintendo is just going to port every good game from the Wii U onto the Switch, and that’s a good thing because there are a ton of really amazing games on the Wii U. Now Super Mario 3D World gets to come over, with all of its levels intact. It also has a brand new expansion called Bowser’s Fury. Right now it’s not quite clear what that expansion entails but we will give you more info as it becomes available. Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury will release on February 21, 2021.
Super Mario Bros. 35
Hey, remember Mario Royale, the fan-made Mario game where 75 Marios try to compete to complete Super Mario Bros. at the same time? Well, it looks like Nintendo took notice because they are creating their own version Super Mario Bros. 35. You play against 35 different players all trying to complete the original Super Mario Bros. or be the last one standing.
You have very little time to complete each level, but defeating an enemy grants you more time and sends enemies to your opponents. You can also use the item roulette to get random power-ups at opportune times. Super Mario Bros. 35 will be available for free for Nintendo Switch Online members on October 1 and will be playable until March 31 next year.
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
Get ready to play Mario Kart in a way you never have before… in your own home! Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit comes with a remote-controlled car with a camera on it and a Mario figurine sitting in it. You drive this car around your house or block, or wherever, through specially set up gates, in order to plot out a course. Then, you actually race around the course against other A.I. controlled opponents, or maybe even a friend with another car, in augmented reality. Yes, real life is the next big Mario Kart course. It even has all the bells and whistles of standard Mario Kart right down to the items.
All of these wild 35th anniversary celebrations
Nintendo is giving us a ton of ways to celebrate Mario across all its properties including:
- My Nintendo Mario themed missions that can earn you points and prizes including an exclusive pin set
- Mario Kart Tour on mobile platforms will have guest appearances from the original 16-bit Mario sprite and Donkey Kong Jr. from the SNES Super Mario Kart. The update will go live on September 8.
- More 35th anniversary-themed items will be available at the official Nintendo New York store and store.nintendo.com
- A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun will be uploaded to Super Mario Maker 2 in November 2020
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate will be holding an online tournament named the NintendoVS Challenge Cup featuring Mario characters, items, and levels.
- A Mario themed Splat Vest is coming to Splatoon 2 in January 2021
- Physical t-shirts themed around the Splat Vests are available to purchase now on store.nintendo.com
- Mario themed Splatoon keychains are available as a My Nintendo reward
- Super Mario themed events, furniture, and more will be coming to Animal Crossing: New Horizons
- A new RS-Dreamer Super Mario 64 line of Puma sneakers will be available for purchase September 4
- An overalls+top set from BlackMilk themed after Mario will be available at BlackMilkclothing.com on October 5
- Cool 35th-anniversary versions of Super Mario Monopoly and Super Mario Jenga from Hasbro are now available
- A new Super Mario figurine is now available from Jakks Pacific
- The LEGO Super Mario themed playsets, and the NES themed playset is available now
Super Mario All-Stars
Perhaps the first HD remake in gaming history is coming to the Switch as part of the Nintendo Online SNES collection. You can play it now!
Super Mario 3D All-Stars
Speaking of All-Stars, Super Mario All-Stars is finally getting a sequel in Super Mario 3D All-Stars. This new bundle includes Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy, with a small HD texture facelift and widescreen support. The game will also feature the soundtracks from all three games which can be played in music player mode. It will be available on September 18 in digital format and a limited run of physical copies will be made available.
That’s all from this direct. What new Mario game are you most excited for? Watch the presentation in full below: