Capcom announces Season “V” of Street Fighter V
Capcom threw us all for a loop today by announcing a new season of Street Fighter V. Yes, we all assumed that season 4 would be the end. Content had seemed to slow to a drip feed and Gill and Seth, two major boss characters, seemed like a great way to end everything.
But Capcom announced the new Season “V” in a recent blog post. This new season will add “V” more characters (five for those of you who don’t know Roman Numerals) to the roster. Three new stages are also going to be added. They mentioned that they will be bringing more specific info on Season “V” later in the summer, presumably around EVO Online.
Capcom also announced a brand new costume design contest. Starting now through July 21, you can submit your costume design for any of the existing 40 characters. It’s a chance to get your costume design really, truly, in the game!
The official rules are as follows:
1. Design a costume for any Street Fighter V character of your choosing! Submitted Designs must also comply with the following specifications:
- Minimum resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels
- 72 DPI
- JPG or PNG format
- Not to exceed a file size of 10 MB
- Only one entry per person accepted. Multiple entries submitted through multiple email addresses will be disqualified.
- The contest begins on May 27, 2020 at 10:00am PDT and ends on July 21, 2020 at 11:59pm PDT.
2. Email costume submissions to the appropriate email address:
- Americas = SFCostumeContest@capcom.com
- EMEA = SFCostumeContestEU@capcom.com
- Asia = SFCostumeContestAsia@capcom.com
- Japan = SFCostumeContestJPN@capcom.com
3. Various costume designs will be selected through a collaborative effort from Capcom staff and community voting.
4. The community will vote on Twitter to decide the two winners.
- Voting begins on August 17, 2020 at 10:00am PDT and ends on August 31, 2020 at 11:59pm PDT.
5. The winning costume design will be featured in Street Fighter V: Champion Edition!
Both winners to be announced in early September 2020. (subject to reasonable changes by Capcom)
For more information, check out the official contest page.
Of course, a brand new season means a brand new balance patch. It’s unlikely that this patch will come into effect before the EVO Exhibition though.
A number of fan theories are flying around about why Capcom has shown reinvigorated interest in Street Fighter V. Some believe that Capcom hasn’t been able to work on bigger projects due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Similarly, Street Fighter V has seen a renewed interest in online circles after a fan released a hack that greatly improved the game’s netcode.
Capcom has confirmed that this is, truly, the final season of Street Fighter V. There’s a possibility Capcom is doing this because of the upcoming release of the Playstation 5. It’s very possible that Capcom is gearing toward a “definitive edition” release for the PS5 launch window with all the content of the original and improved graphics.
We will bring you more information about this new upcoming season of Street Fighter V as it becomes available.